Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Eve


Christmas Eve was very pleasant. No stress, no crowds, no last minute shopping. I spend the day mostly in Palermo, walking and lazing around in cafés. I bought myself a dress for a night out on the town, and some special cheeses to eat with my Christmas dinner (a sheep manchego and a soft blue cheese). Before returning to the hostel in the evening, I made sure I was all stocked up on food and drinks, because we had been told that everything would be closed on Christmas day (that turned out not to be true). I bought lots of water, and a bottle of wine (just in case).

Street art in Palermo

Cheese!

More cheese

No way! I wonder if it's as good as it was in Italy?

Tea here comes with biscuits and a small glass of sparkling water to refresh your palate afterwards. So civilized.

The café (actually an ice cream joint)

The night began with conversations with various groups of travelers on the outside terrace at the hostel. At midnight, the sky exploded with the crackle of fireworks. At 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, a small group of us headed to Palermo to dance the night away. It wasn't an extraordinary night, but it sure felt good to shake it out for a few hours in the busy club. And my strawberry daiquiri was very good. Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment