Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

New on Top of my Book Pile



The french translation of Anna Karenina that I ordered arrived the other day! I decided to temporarily set aside the Tale of Genji, in order to dive right in. I don't mind treating the Japanese novel in the same manner as Genji himself seems to treat the women in his life: as disposable entertainment. I will therefore pick up the threads of his amorous entanglements another time. Reading L'élégance du hérisson (The Elegance of the Hedgehog) last year had peaked my curiosity for the Russian classic (the characters allude to the famous quotation that precipitates the novel: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Or in French: "Toutes les familles heureuses se ressemblent. Chaque famille malheureuse, au contraire, l'est à sa façon." Their cats are also named after Tolstoy's characters). Seeing the movie adaptation of Muriel Barbery's novel recently inspired me to finally order a copy of Anna Karenina for myself.


By the way, I loved the movie (called Hérisson in French) just as much as I loved the book. They are different, as to be expected, but both good, and I thought the characters were well portrayed in the movie. They all, Renée especially, fit the image that I had of them in my mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment