Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

My New Barrio

In the morning, I phoned Roberto straight away to confirm that I would take the room. He told me I could arrive at 5:00. So, in the meantime, I put my luggage in the hostel's storage area and went for one last walk in San Telmo (I sure I will still go there, but not as often, now that I live on the other side of town).

 













I passed by the centre, because I needed some money, and poked my nose in a few antique and second-hand bookshops. After standing in line at five different banks, I finally was able to withdraw money. I returned to the hostel at four, and took a taxi with all my stuff to my new home on Santa Fe. 

 Farmacia de la Estrella was founded in 1834

Books!


I find the apartment pretty feo (ugly-especially my room), but it is spacious and comfortable. However distasteful it might be, I know that I will be able to feel much more at home here than in any hostel. Plus, I could not have asked for a better location, right on the intersection between the Palermo of shopping, cafés and nightlife, and the Palermo of parks. What is more, the entrance to the subte is just one step away (literally-you come out the door and are almost falling down the subte stairs). After showing me around, Roberto prepared a coffee for himself and a tea for me. Then, we went out to grab a few things that I would need to start my life in Buenos Aires, which also served as a short introduction to the barrio. I love how every moment with him is part of a lesson. He asks me what things are called as we run across them, corrects and mistakes and taught me new expressions. So far, he seems to be a great teacher.

On the way back, he showed me what he claims is one of the best pescaderías (fish shops) in the city. It is only two blocks away from the house, so I think I will be there often, stocking up on seafood for my kitchen experiments.







At 9:00 in the evening, I am sitting outside one of my favourite cafés in Palermo Viejo, Mama Racha, much more busy now that the night has fallen and dinner time is approaching. The world around me is abuzz with conversation. It is getting chilly, but I feel much more relaxed, now that I am settled in, that I don't have to deal with hostel life, and with looking for a place to stay.

I walk back to my new apartment quite content. It is midnight by the time I am finally eating dinner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment