Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Change of Plans

I regret to announce that my Italian holiday has come to an end. My classes in Perugia turned out to be disappointingly dull, and rather than enduring a month that risked to be mediocre at best, I decided to admit that I was no longer having fun, to ditch my classes and to come home early. I spent a last weekend in Rome and then took an early flight to Frankfurt and then to Vancouver.

There I was, early in the morning at Rome's Fiumicino airport, with my headphones glued on, my mind clouded by a nutella-induced sugar-high, tapping my foot to the beat of some happy-go-lucky music that drowned out the the buzz of travellers and the airport's intercom announcements, and wishing I was up and dancing.

This was the first time I was returning home with a smile on my face. At the end of my both my trips to South America, I had returned with tears in my eyes, lovesick; the first time for the boy I was leaving behind*; the second, for the city I was leaving behind**. I had hardly been in a better mood on my return from previous trips from Europe.

I enjoyed my little blogging debut very much, and I regret that it should come to an end so soon, but until I depart on another adventure, I'm afraid that I won't have much to blog about, unless you're interested in knowing about my futile attemps to find a summer job, and what I will be making for dinner every night (it tends to be a lot of the same)

Thank you very much for following my adventures!
Until next time!

-Joëlle


*My first trip to South America, a series of unfortunate events ended with a fortunate one: a Bolivian boy falling madly in love with me. I was just starting to reciprocate the feelings when I was spirited back home.

**My second trip to South America, it wasn't a boy I fell in love with, but a city: Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. I still remember the tears rolling down my cheeks as my plane was taking off and the city becoming a web of lights at nightfall as we gained altitude.

0 comments:

Post a Comment