Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Just Another Day in Florence...

Another view of the Duomo

Sunday, I had no specific plans for the day except to buy a pair of underwear (I decided to stay longer in Florence than I had originally intended), so I threw the sands into the wind, so to speak – I set off wandering after my blue-cheese-and-an-apple breakfast, see if anything interesting would come my way.

I started my wanderings by visiting a jeweler's workshop, where some of his past collections where displayed. There was some seriously cool stuff, most of it more sculptural than functional, centred around great themes like time, castles, music and alchemy.

After walking around and across the Ponte Vecchio, I headed for Florence's shopping district to get my undies (and perhaps a few things from H&M as well...). Just when I was getting tired of shopping, I came across the Palazzo Strozzi, which was holding an exhibition on Picasso, Miró and Dalí – how the first had influenced the latter two. Modern art being my favourite art period, I couldn't resist taking a look. I wasn't disappointed. Although the exhibition was rather small, it was really well organized, with panels explaining each painting in both Italian and English. The coolest part, though, was that they gave out free "design kits," comprising of a sketchpad and a graphite pencil, so that you could "sketch" your way through the exhibition.

Venus and Sailor (Homage to Salvat-Papasseit), 1925, Salvador Dali


I spent a few hours in the Palazzo, then walked until I found an internet cafe, so I could do some skyping with people back at home.

The highlight of my day, though, was finding a food shop that sold all kinds of ethnic goodies, including, to my surprise, many different brands of Argentinian yerba mate. I happily bought a bag, and was considering going back for more, mate being one of the things I regret not bringing with me from Canada.

 Yerba mate, yummmm...

Anywho, it wasn't a bad day, and for dinner, I made myself a yummy vegetable salad with a big ball of soft and juicy mozzarella di bufala.

0 comments:

Post a Comment