Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Date with David


As I mentioned before, last Thursday night, I decided that I'd had enough of Umbria, so Friday morning, I packed a light bag and headed to the station to catch the next train to Florence. I figured if I needed to waste a few days, I might as well fritter them away in one of the world's greatest cities of art.

I already knew where I was going to stay: Camping Michelangelo, the same place I had stayed three years before (almost to the day!) when I passed by Florence during my backpacking trip to Europe. Although they are a campground, they have permanent tents set up with beds for hostellers, like myself, who don't have their own camping gear. The campground is ideally situated, above the city, a two minute walk from the most gorgeous view of the city, and only about fifteen minutes from the centre.

A view of the Duomo

I arrived with enough time for an afternoon walk, which led me to get get lost a few times in the suburbs of the city, and also to make a few interesting finds. One of these was a cool vintage shop where I found a lovely anchor pendant. I also found a great big supermarket (ipermercato) where I bought everything I needed for dinner, and for breakfast and lunch the next day.

My vintage anchor necklace.
Saturday, I quietly enjoyed waking up in Florence, eating breakfast in the sun with a view of the Duomo, and walking along the Arno, watching the reflection of the Ponte Vecchio in the still waters of the river. In the morning, I ambled through the centro storico, munching on some fresh fruit bought at a fruttivendolo (fruit and vegetable seller).

The Ponte Vecchio, the only bridge in Florence to have survived World War II, reflected in the Arno.

Then, I had an important rendez-vous: a date with David. The David. We had missed each other the last time I was in Florence, three years earlier, but I had promised that I would make it up to him. As it turns out, he made me wait a good 45 minutes, but it was worth it.

David. Can you believe he's 511 years old? He doesn't look a day over 25!

At dinnertime, I joined a hodgepodge group of Canadians and Australians at the campground terrace and we all headed over to Piazzale Michelangiolo with some bottles of wine to enjoy the sunset over the city. The sight was simply breathtaking, eliciting a round of applause from the crowd that had gathered around to watch it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment