Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Island-Hopping in Italy

The sun finally made an appearance today, and after an all-too-pleasant breakfast on the quayside, I went to Naples' main port to catch a ferry to Procida, a little island off of the Bay of Naples.


Procida looks like a painting or a postcard-picture at every glance. The people were extremely friendly (which helped, because I went extremely off-track–in a few instances). Between ambling down the narrow streets and walking along the beaches and marinas; between pastel-coloured houses, dizzyingly pretty views and nice old ladies who don't speak a word of English (but who insist on giving you information anyways), I had a very enjoyable day.




Even apples are under DOP (denominazione d'Origine Protetta – Protected Designation of Origin)











For dinner, as recommended by our good friend Umberto Neon, we went to the Pizzeria Attori e Spettatori. Honestly, it wasn't the best pizza I've had in Italy, but the wine and the conversation made up for it (and it was still a lot better than anything you could get at home).

I am still struggling to speak confidently in Italian, and to get used to hearing it spoken. I know it will take a few more days (or even weeks), but for now, every time I open my mouth, the Spanish words come to me first.

Tomorrow, I am going on a tour of Herculaneum, Pompeii's lesser-known little sister. I've been reading a little about it, and I'm very excited!

0 comments:

Post a Comment