Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When in Rome...

Saturday morning, we took advantage of the kitchen and the table in our sweet to prepare our own breakfast. I set out to buy fruits, tea and jam at a little supermarket I had spotted during my walk the day before, and two cornetti at a bar. I had an apple with the creamy gorgonzola I had leftover from Naples.

After breakfast, we headed out, passing by the Campo di Fiori market on our way to the Colosseum, to ogle at food.

Food!

More Food!

Say 'cheese'!

We walked by the forum and the palatine, and ate a late lunch in a little street a few blocks behind the Colisseum (I had another caprese salad... how boring am I?) After lunch we visited the Basilica di San Clemente, a church built on top of a church built on top of a Roman villa where a pagan cult was practiced – your typical European mash-up. We wandered some more afterwards, trying to stay away from the traffic as we made our way back to Piazza Navona.

Area Sacra di Largo Argentina


Poppies among the ruins

At lunch – my caprese salad and me being artsy fartsy with my camera

For dinner, we opted for another trattoria near our hotel, which I chose because they had artichokes on the menu. Unfortunately, our server notified us that there were no artichokes as the season was over, but we had an excellent meal all the same. We started with a round of aperol spritz, my favourite aperitivo before moving to wine. I had a tomato salad with black olives as my antipasto, and an absolutely exquisite dish of sautéed mussels and clams with parsley as my main dish. All in all, despite the lack of artichokes, it was one of my best meals in Italy so far.




After dinner, I was once again wined-out, and it took me no time to fall asleep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment