Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Love Affair with Mozzarella

Sunday morning, I woke up early, and went out again to fare la spesa (do the groceries) for our collazione (breakfast). Gorgonzola, goat cheese and an apple for me, and cornetti, jam and peaches for my dad.



It was our last day in Rome together, and although we had a beautiful sunny morning, by the afternoon it was stormy and pouring rain. Good thing we had no plans after lunch except napping and reorganizing our suitcases. And we had done well in the morning, braving the crowds to visit St. Peter's Basilica.

 
I had an Inca-nerd moment when I saw a trapezoidal door inside St Peter's Basilica. Inca influence at the Vatican! Funny thing was, seeing that I was posing in front of the door, other people started queuing up to have their own picture taken, thinking that the door was something special.

The sky cleared in time for an evening stroll through Trastevere, where we took a look around shops, bars and restaurants. I cracked the bank when I found a lovely purple leather wallet at an artisan fair. It's a good, useful souvenir, I told myself, and my current wallet was falling apart.

My dad with the giant salami





For our last dinner in Rome, we chose a busy restaurant called Obika, which was advertised as a 'Mozzarella Bar'. The mozzarella bar turned out to be an excellent choice for our last dinner in Rome. The food was delicious, and we couldn't have asked for a better ambiance, facing the lively Campo de Fiori. I opted for their mozzarella special (how could I not?), which consisted of choosing between one of four kinds of mozzarella, and a contorni to go with it. I took the grilled seasonal vegetables (eggplant and zucchini) served with a yummy pesto dressing, and to drink, I had another spritz and then a glass of sauvignon bianco. The mozzarella di bufala itself was out of this world – a delicious blob of meaty, juicy and flavourful cheese.



After dinner, it was time to bid Rome farewell, because we would be both be leaving early the next morning, each on our own path.

0 comments:

Post a Comment